Senior Manager Research Analyst
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: As a Senior Analyst on the manager research team your objective is to collaborate with our global team to produce independent research on funds and other investment vehicles that will empower individuals, intermediaries, and institutional investors to make better investment decisions, which is Morningstar’s primary mission. The Senior Analyst will directly support our Cross Border manager research team’s analysis of open ended funds. The position requires a passion for investing along with strong analytical and writing skills. In this role, you will research funds while also developing broader investment expertise that contributes to the manager research organization’s thought leadership. The position is based in our Mumbai office.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis to support our ratings for Cross Border funds using our databases, monitoring regulatory information, and engaging with asset-management firms.
- Author analytical research reports, articles, and industry studies.
- Be available to discuss ratings and reports with external institutional clients and Morningstar’s internal investment management group.
- Coordinate with global peers on strategies available in multiple geographies
- Monitor important developments in the fund industry and global markets.
- Develop expertise in various asset classes, asset management firms, and the overall industry.
- Support the global thought leadership agenda such as GIE requirements
- Engage with the media to build and support the Morningstar brand
- Coordinate with data operations to ensure required data and methodologies are in place to support products
- Help shape Morningstar methodologies
- Capably navigate Morningstar’s database, document data errors, and surface ideas for database and methodology enhancements.
- To manage ad-hoc analytical assignments on investments, managed funds and products
- To undertake other administrative, research and/or analytical work as required
- Independent, experienced manager researcher (at least five years of analytical experience) who has demonstrable research experience and is familiar with the global investment landscape
- Independent, experienced researcher who is familiar with modern finance and investment theory.
- Able to work within an interdisciplinary team that includes investment experts, qualitative researchers, data analysts, and software developers
- Superior verbal and written English communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills & attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Skilled with PC and mainstream software packages. Experience with Morningstar Direct an advantage
- Ability to use own initiative and work unsupervised together with the ability to prioritise effectively and work in a methodical manner to meet deadlines
- Proactive aptitude to building effective internal and external relationships with key stakeholders and acting as a representative of Morningstar
- A keen knowledge of financial markets that has been developed both personally and professionally
- Bachelor`s or master`s degree; advanced degrees and certifications are desirable
- CFA designation or enrollment is an asset
Please submit a writing sample that demonstrates your writing and analytical skills, along with a resume and cover letter. Applications without all three items will not be considered.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer